When rumors started circulating that one of this year’s Hot Toys 2018 Toy Fair Exclusives was going to be a Black and White Captain America, a lot of folks (including me!) thought it sounded like hogwash. But looks like we underestimated Hot Toys’ resourcefulness when it comes to variants, because they actually came up with a B&W Cap that makes sense and is pretty desirable: the limited EXCLUSIVE Hot Toys Concept Art Captain America is now up for order!
I was initially dubious regarding the rumors of a monochrome Captain America Hot Toys figure being chosen, as I was envisioning something in my mind like Newsreel Captain America, which I didn’t really see working as a $250-ish sixth scale figure.
But it turns out that Hot Toys actually had something creative and interesting picked out: a newly-costumed version of Cap based off of concept art appearing in the Captain America Civil War and Winter Soldier art books!
This is the very first piece that Hot Toys is putting a “10 Years of Marvel Studios” banner on. I wonder if there’s any hope for this series to fill in gaps like the Yellowjacket prototype shown 3 years ago, which was never released? (Not to mention that Hot Toys Valkyrie we’re still waiting for!)
As far as this figure itself goes, well… I think it’s pretty compelling as far as variants of this sort go. This reminds me a bit of a “Spec Ops” Captain America, and I think I would have actually preferred this costume to the blue Stealth Suit from The Winter Soldier movie.
Like the Captain America Civil War MMS this is based on, we’ve got our pic of “casual” and “angry teeth gritted” lower faces for Cap. Personally, I think the “Aggro Cap” face is a lot more fun and expressive, but I know some people will like the more natural look.
One thing that this figure is designed do that no previous Captain America MMS has been, however, is dual-wielding shields! The idea of Cap busting heads with his iconic round shield in one hand and his WWII-style shield in the other puts a big smile on my face. Win!
Here’s the official specs and accessories break-down for this figure, straight from the horse’s mouth:
– Product Code: MMS488
– Product Name: Captain America (Concept Art Version)
– Height: Approximately 31 cm tall
– Points of Articulations: 30
– Special Features: A newly painted Captain America helmeted head sculpt with two interchangeable lower part of faces capturing Chris Evans’s facial expressions, A black and white-colored heater shaped shield
– Artists: Head Sculpted by Seung-min, Kang
– Head Painted by E-Lee & JC. Hong
– Head Art Directed by JC. Hong
The 1/6th scale Captain America (Concept Art Version) Collectible Figure specially features:
– Authentic and detailed likeness of Chris Evans as Captain America in Captain America: Civil War
– A newly painted Captain America helmeted head sculpt with two (2) interchangeable lower part of faces capturing Chris Evans’s facial expressions (neutral and angry expression)
– Movie-accurate facial expression with detailed wrinkles and skin texture
– Newly developed body with over 30 points of articulations which naturally portray Captain America’s muscular body in the film
– Approximately 31 cm tall
– Seven (7) pieces of interchangeable black-colored gloved hands including:
– One (1) pair of fists
– One (1) pair of shield holding hands
– One (1) shield throwing right hand
– One (1) shield catching left hand
– One (1) finger pointing right hand
– Each piece of head sculpt is specially hand-painted
– One (1) newly tailored black-colored Captain America suit with scale pattern and silver-colored Avengers emblem
– One (1) pair of newly tailored black-colored embossed patterned pants with pouches, knee pads
– One (1) pair of fabric coated elbow pads
– One (1) pair of fabric coated knee pads
– One (1) black-colored leather-like back shield holder and body strap
– One (1) black-colored leather-like belt with pouches
– One (1) pair of black boots
– One (1) newly created metallic grey, silver and black Captain America circular shield with weathering effects
– One (1) black and white-colored heater shaped shield with weathering effects
– Specially designed Marvel Studios: The First Ten Years themed figure stand with Captain America nameplate”
The 2018 Toy Fairs Exclusive Hot Toys Concept Captain America 1/6 figure is now up for order. Hot Toys has actually done Concept Art Iron Man figures before that have sold out speedily, but this is the first time for another Marvel Studios character. I’m definitely intrigued to see if this Cap is a hit and if we might see more of these type of figures in the future. If the positive buzz I’m hearing online about this figure is representative of overall reaction, we may be looking at a big hit with this guy!
Sound off, Hot Toys Marvel collectors! How do you feel about Concept Art-based figures like this Captain America? And what types of figures and characters would you like to see Hot Toys release as part of their 10 Years of Marvel Studios series?
The post EXCLUSIVE Hot Toys Concept Art Captain America Figure Pre-Order! appeared first on Marvel Toy News.